Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Final Thoughts

Before starting the Library Science courses I was not in any social media.  My technology use was limited to a cell phone call, text, or email.  My family and friends would encourage me to open account in Facebook, but I was afraid of social media. Starting the Library Science courses in the Fall 2013, I had to open a Twitter, Facebook, Vine, Instagram, and Blogger account.  I think I am now up to date with the social media, but I am still hesitant in using it.  I know I have to learn more on how to use the programs and use them more often not to forget how to use them and also not to be afraid social media.  Especially because social media is the present and future way of communication.

The good

For this course I really enjoyed being exposed to all the technology available.  I enjoyed reading the PEW reports.  I found the reports interesting and eye opening.  I enjoyed making the comic strip.  The difficult part about the comic strip was what to do it about.  After deciding the content then the rest was simple.  Another helpful and useful tool is the Infographics.  Infograpihics are great to present information in a difference matter. It can give a refresh look to any presentation.

The bad

What I had a difficult time in this course was starting the blog in the beginning.  When I started the Twitter blog I had made one post for each Tweet.  The Twitter blog was left in a separate blog because I wasn't able to figure out how to make all the individual post in one single blog.  The next challenging assignment was the Screencast.  I was breaking my head and as much as I tried I was not able to use either Screenr and Screen-o-matic.  I tried it in three different computers, I used Youtube to show me how to download and use the programs, and I asked people younger and more computer literate then me, but had no luck with that.  I was able to use Jing for the screencast.  Jing was simple to download and use.  I felt a bit relief I was able to use a program at the end.

What students would benefit

What student will benefit most would be the comic strip.  I think students would love to use the comic strip to summarize a story, add an alternative ending to the story, or make their own original stories.  Infographics is also a great tool to use for students.  The visuals are colorful, artful, and not traditional making them appealing even for elementary students.


No comments:

Post a Comment