Sunday, November 30, 2014

Parents influence teens

Madden, M. Teens, social networking sites & mobile phones: What the research is telling us. Pew Research Center's Internet & Life Project.  Web. 5 Dec. 2011.  <http://www.pewinternet.org/2011/12/05/teens-social-network-sites-mobile-phones-what-the-research-is-telling-us-slides/>


Teens, Social Networking Sites & Mobile Phones:  What the Research is Telling Us.



The information I found most interesting was that parent are the most influential people in a teenager's life when it comes to appropriate and inappropriate use of cell phone and online access.  Parents are well above any other person.  Surprisingly, a teenager's friends doesn't even come close to parents influence. 

Now in days parents and teenagers have access to technology at a faster rate.  I was 21 when I first had my first cell phone.  I remember being chocked when my younger sister had her own cell phone at 16.  I could not believe she would take her phone to high school and it was a normal thing to see kids her age with a cell phone.  I found myself feeling as if I was from a different era.  And maybe I was, my sister and I are seven year apart.  Only seven years apart but it seemed more (technologically speaking sever years are ages).  At that time neither of my parents had a cell phone or even knew how to use one.  I remember my point of information and questions were my friends.  I don't know if my friends were the best for advice but that was the only people I could trust at the time.  It was also 2001 and there was not much to worry about as today in social media.

To me this information is heartwarming and hopeful for my own children.  I wonder about my children (5, 3, and 7 months old) what technology will be available when they are teenagers and how much will I know about the benefits and dangers of the future technology.  I like to think that parents will always be the best persons to turn to, but who will be the second best choice when parents are not well informed?

30 Power Point slides

No comments:

Post a Comment